(sixteen) or something french

And so my last day home has come sooner than expected! Am I ready to go back to school? Unclear. I always wish I would have more time in Florida until I get back to school and realize how much I’ve missed it. But for now, I’m allowing myself to indulge in a bit of self-pity that I will once again be returning to a constant work load.

One of the hardest things about leaving home would be leaving behind Effy. I recognize that this blog has quickly become me turning into the trope of “A Crazy Cat Lady,” but for anyone who has pets they don’t see frequently- hopefully you can relate.

It’s just hard because with anyone else I can talk to them and tell them when I will be leaving and when I will be coming back. For him, it’s a nasty surprise every time he sees my suitcase come out. He doesn’t know when I’m leaving or when I’ll next be back, so he sulks around my things hoping to divert my departure. It’s really quite sad, and constantly tugs at my heart strings. When he realizes I’m leaving, he stays closer to me, and meows whenever I get too far away from him. Unfortunately, I can’t sit down with him and say “I’ll be back for the holidays! You’ll see me soon!”- all I can do is sit on the floor and pet him and hopefully he recognizes this as my way of saying “I’ll be back.” It’s even harder because my parents say that after the first few days of me going back to school, he’ll sleep on my bed and hang out in my room more than usual.

I’m spending my last day with my parents just sharing space and relaxing together. It looks like it’s going to rain, which is my favorite type of florida weather. That usually means the temperature outside is bearable in the afternoons, and the cloud coverage blocks out enough of the sun for me to go outside without having to shield my eyes.

Although I am a pretty good baker, my dad is an excellent cook. He’s always trying out new recipes and ideas. The vast majority of it is delicious, and from recipes I wouldn’t otherwise have access to.

IMG_6271 IMG_6274

Today, he made us something French- Blueberry Cobbler in a Cabbage Leaf. Although the cabbage leaf may sound kind of gross, you really need to trust me on this- it’s delicious. I’m not sure who figured out this taste combination, but 10/10 points to you. It’s a winner, and a recipe that apparently changed the perception of French desserts. He knows more about the history behind it than I do (ironic as I’m the history major), but it was quite fascinating.

Overall, I’m enjoying my last day home, but it’s already slipping away too quickly.