(twenty seven) or SEPTA strike

First off, let me begin by explaining what SEPTA is. The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) is a series of trains, buses, trolleys, and subways that run all throughout Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties. It’s a pretty easy service to use, and as someone who comes from an area of little/no public transportation, SEPTA feels like a dream. According to folks from areas that actually have public transportation, SEPTA is trash and is not an effective mode to get around. To each their own, I guess. Regardless, SEPTA is the cheapest option I have found to get me into Philly and I really like it.

It’s been in the news recently that SEPTA workers have gone on strike. As someone who wants to remain aware of the happenings of my community, this blog post will be a learning experience for all of us as to what is going on.

The first article I’m reading is titled “DESPITE FINGER POINTING, SEPTA, UNION RESUME TALKS”. It seems to say:

1. It sounds like the strike is surrounding the cost of benefits for SEPTA workers
  2. The strike is headed by a union
  3. People are getting really, really upset
  4. SEPTA wants to offer the union a current earnings cap on pensions and enhance that benefit by 8%, along with a pay raise, but union members must pay more for their healthcare.

My take away from this is that this strike is regarding economic disparities between SEPTA and union employees.

On to the next one!

After randomly clicking, I’ve selected “Latest SEPTA strike updates: Nov. 3, 2016” because HORRAY! Today is November 3rd and maybe this will be more informative.

This article:

1. Showed us a photo of someone driving a bicycle on the highway??? This is apparently a very literal statement about individuals who have to go to work and have no other way.
  2. SEPTA is considering requesting an injunction to force workers to come back for election day- without transportation to polling places, people can’t vote.
  3. A direct quote from the article reads, “Late Wednesday night SEPTA’s board chairman Pat Deon put out a statement accusing the union leadership of prolonging the work stoppage even after SEPTA made an offer that, Deon said, addressed many of the workers’ requests. Thursday morning, the Transportation Workers Union Local 234 fired back. The local’s president, Willie Brown, said in his own statement, “Deon’s idea of bargaining where he tells the public half-truths about what’s on the table while telling the union to take it or leave it won’t get us across the finish line.””

This article was really enlightening to me as to how many people are impacted by this- obviously public transportation serves, well, the public. But think about it:

1. How will children get to schools?
  2. How will employees get to work?
  3. How will voters get to polls?

Schools, jobs, and voting are going to continue whether or not SEPTA is up and functioning. For people, especially children from low income families whose guardians are not available to drive them to school, how can we expect students to be able to literally get to school and learn?

On the other hand, labor unions are intended to represent their constituents, and have gotten some very real results, such as improved wages, improved workplace, and a shorter work week.

As per usual, I think this issue is on a grey-scale of morality, with no side being totally right. In the mean time, I’m going to try to learn more, and I’m going to go to http://www.septa.org/realtime/status/system-status.shtml to watch the updated train schedules.

One thought on “(twenty seven) or SEPTA strike