(thirty three) or eurydice

Yesterday I went to see Bryn Mawr’s Eurydice. I mostly went because one of my best friends Ellen is in the show, and I know how hard she’s been working, so I wanted to come to support her.

I’m familiar with the greek myth- Eurydice, wife of Orpheus, dies tragically on their wedding day after being bitten by a snake. Orpheus, a famed musician, was only able to play mournful tunes after her death. The nymphs and gods were so moved by his sadness that they told him to go to the gates of the Underworld to retrieve Eurydice himself. Here’s where the story takes two major turns. In one account, Orpheus goes to the Underworld and plays his music for Hades and Persephone, and they are so moved that they allow her to return to the world of the living. In another account, Orpheus uses his music to put the giant horrifying guardian of Hades to sleep, and is therefore allowed to take back Eurydice. Either way, Hades tells Orpheus that he must walk out of the Underworld without looking back, and Eurydice would follow him out. The catch, however, was that Orpheus was not allowed to look back until they both had returned into the world of the living. If he looked back at her, Eurydice would be taken back into the Underworld.

The story ends with Orpheus entering the daylight, where he turns around to look at Eurydice. Unfortunately, she had not crossed the threshold yet, and she was pulled back into the Underworld.

This Eurydice is based on the greek myth, although the plot is loosely adapted into a much  more modern and mournful tale.

IMG_6528 IMG_6529

I don’t want to ruin it for anyone who plans to watch it, but I will tell you that it’s a dark and moving piece that broadcasts that it will leave you with more questions than answers. Adding new characters, and modern adaptions, I really was (scared?) fascinated by the Rocks.

IMG_6530 IMG_6532

I really loved the set. Again, not wanting to spoil it for you, I just want to put a little disclaimer out into the inter webs that the river Lethe is attributed with loss of memory. The etymology is super interesting, but just remember for the sake of the show that if someone is dipped into the Lethe, they will lose their memories….

IMG_6533 IMG_6534

Overall, I’m happy that I got to have a fun night with Meera watching the show! The cast and crew did an amazing job, and I’d give it 10/10.